This article has been featured on the Banner of Shame in previous years. Congratulations!
"Welcomes to Ryan Toy Review!" ― Ryan introducing his channel in his earlier videos.
Ryan's World (formerly Ryan's ToysReview) is a YouTuber. It mainly involves a kid named Ryan and his family that usually do reviews on toys. So far, they have over 25M subscribers.
Why They Are Atrocious
- They cannot go through one day without making videos or buying toys. Seriously, what does Ryan even get for Christmas? Let us guess, more toys?
- Lots of unlikable characters:
- The father lacks any personality whatsoever, and he's one of the main characters.
- The franchise's animated characters - mostly Combo Panda and Gus The Gummy Gator, are also unlikable.
- Emma and Kate, Ryan's younger sisters, are sometimes ignored.
- Some of their videos have a toilet or gross-out jokes.
- They use bots, proven by their like-to-dislike ratio almost always being the same, gibberish comments, high view count but low comment count, and +20 million subs in just the span of 4 years.
- Their Minecraft video's thumbnail consists of Ryan holding a Minecraft pickaxe the wrong way. If you don't know about Minecraft, maybe you shouldn't make a video about it!
- Their other channels, Ryan's Family Review and Combo Panda, suffers from the same issues as this channel.
- Overuse of nursery rhymes as music.
- Their body parts music video is a cringefest.
- When the channel started, Ryan himself was only a kindergartener, making him way too young for the site (even though his parents run the channel).
- They copied AYTW, proven by their 24 hours in a swimming pool challenge.
- Also, the video is clickbait, unlike MrBeast's video. Most of the video is just Ryan and the family being in the house with only 10 minutes of them actually being in the pool, but there are still 25 minutes left in the video.
- He also had the role of “New Fred”, which is a show that only lasted two videos until it was canceled.
- Like Morgz, Ryan's face is lazily pasted on their thumbnails.
- PocketWatch, the company who operates the channel, pretty much abuses the success of Ryan's channel, by outright making it into a dedicated franchise, with merchandise like:
- A dedicated TV show called Ryan's Mystery Playdate, where it teaches kids nothing at all other then puzzle-solving.
- His own racing game for actual game consoles, not an app game, an actual console game. CGW. The game itself is very bad.
- As for app games, they're just generic endless runners.
- PocketWatch even managed to get Carl's Jr. and Hardee's to release toys for their kid's meals based on them.
- His own toy line, and one of their most expensive toys which goes for $90 USD, is a giant surprise egg but is filled with nothing more than dollar-store junk!
- The original songs made by the family have repetitive lyrics and grating vocals.
- In CGW (his own video game), there is an unused texture of Ryan's bloody face. We're not even joking, here's proof.
- Laughably idiotic dialogue. An example would be when Combo Panda says "I need food before I play ROBLOX!".
- Recently, they have been accused by Truth of Advertising and the Federal Trade Commission of not properly disclosing their sponsored videos. Truth in Advertising has claimed that "Nearly 90 percent of the Ryan ToysReview videos have included at least one paid product recommendation aimed at preschoolers, a group too young to distinguish between a commercial and a review."
- One example is this video, which is an ad for Just Play's line of Puppy Dog Pals toys.
- Ryan's mother, Loan Guan was a criminal when she was 19 years old. She shoplifted $93 worth of clothes at a JCPenney store in Houston, Texas back in May 4, 2003. No joke.
- Much of the media that isn’t related to Ryan is usually about Combo Panda.
- They upload every 4 hours a day, sometimes a week.
- Grammar on their video titles is pretty bad, such as “How much bacteria there are on your laptop”.
- It IS child-friendly, and that's saying something. The channel at least doesn’t rely on inappropriate content unlike most.
- Sure, the channel might be bad, but Ryan and his family are not bad people in real life, despite them spoiling Ryan.
- One of the reasons why they disable comments is so that the parents could prevent their son from seeing any nasty messages to him.
- They don't extort companies and YouTubers, as Carl's Jr and Hardee's promoted him.
- His new icon is better.
- They have somewhat steered away from toy videos for some time now, but their science experiment videos and pretend videos aren’t better.
- Ryan's mother quit her job as a high school chemistry teacher to work on the channel full-time.